SUSTech – PolyU Collaborative PhD Program
Established in 2011, SUSTech is a public research university funded by the Shenzhen Municipality. It is positioned to be a top-tier international university that excels in interdisciplinary research, the nurturing of innovative talents and the transfer of new knowledge to practice. Located in Shenzhen, one of the fastest growing cities in China and the country’s window to the world, SUSTech enjoys strong connections with leading companies in China and renowned universities around the world.
SUSTech is comprised of the College of Science, the College of Engineering, the College of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, and the School of Business. The School of Medicine and its Teaching Hospitals are being developed.
Over three hundred research projects were being carried out at SUSTech in 2017, with the total amount of funding exceeding 700 million RMB. Since its establishment six years ago, SUSTech has received funding for nearly 800 competitive public and private research projects with the total funding sum exceeding 1,300 million RMB. From 2015-2017, SUSTech’s Nature Index rose from 13.88 to 53.58, elevating its national Nature Index ranking from 55th to 28th among all mainland Chinese universities.
SUSTech Fellowships for Collaborative PhD Program
SUSTech collaborates with the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) on Collaborative PhD Program in the research areas of all academic departments and provide fellowships at various attractive levels.
· In this Collaborative PhD Program, students will follow the study arrangement listed below under the supervision of two supervisors. Upon the successful completion of the program, students will be awarded a PhD degree from PolyU and a certificate of completion from SUSTech.
· SUSTech offers the PhD Fellowship to full-time Collaborative PhD students with excellent research potential. Fellowships quota for SUSTech-PolyU Collaborative PhD Program is up to 20. The Fellowship provides stipend for up to four years study period:
Entry Qualification of Student
Length of Normal Study Period
a Master’s degree with a significant research component
1.5 years in PolyU and 1.5 years in SUSTech
Up to 3 years
a Bachelor’s degree
2 years in PolyU and 2 years in SUSTech
Up to 4 years
· During the study period in PolyU, SUSTech will provide stipend according to the stipend rate of the PolyU; During the study period in SUSTech, student will be provided a basic annual stipend from RMB 60,000 to 80,000, plus a performance-based award of RMB20,000 per year for up to 50% of the Fellowship holders.
Criteria for PhD Fellowships
· Applicants should have graduated from a leading university in a country/region, and have demonstrated outstanding potential for research excellence.
Minimum English language requirements:
· An overall score of at least 6.5 (with score for the writing component at 6.0 or above) in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); OR
· A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 80 or above for the Internet-based test (with a writing score of 23 or above) or 550 or above for the paper-based test (with a score of 4 or above in the Test of Written English)*.
* Subject to review
Tuition and Accommodation Fees
· During the study period in PolyU, students will pay the tuition fee to PolyU by themselves.
· During the study period in SUSTech, students enrolled in 2019 will be charged SUSTech Tuition fee at RMB10,000 per year and accommodation fee at RMB 1,300 per year for a single room in the graduate student dormitories. Accommodation while study abroad, visa, transportation and all other fees are borne by students themselves.
· Accommodation while study in Hong Kong, visa, transportation and all other fees are borne by students themselves.
· The fees listed above are for reference and are subjected to adjustment from time to time.
How to Apply
1. Application deadline:
February 28, 2019. Please email the application documents to SUSTech departmental contacts listed below before 14:00PM. Subject of email: Application for SUSTech–PolyU Collaborative PhD Program 2019 – SUSTech Department – Name
Department of Mathematics
Ms. Liu, Maths.firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Physics
Ms. Li, email@example.com
Department of Chemistry
Ms. Lin, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Biology
Ms. Su, Swx_yzb@sustc.edu.cn
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Ms. Wang, email@example.com
Department of Mechanical& Energy Engineering
Ms. Xiao, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Electrical& Electronic Engineering
Ms. Song, email@example.com
Department of Materials Science& Engineering
Ms. Lian, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Mechanics& Aerospace Engineering
Ms. Yang, email@example.com
Department of Computer Science& Engineering
Mr. Zhang, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Ocean Science& Engineering
Ms. Guo, email@example.com
Department of Earth& Space Sciences
Ms. Chen, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Finance
Ms. Wang, email@example.com
School of Environmental Science& Engineering
Ms. Su, firstname.lastname@example.org
It is strongly recommend that applicant should contact SUSTech supervisors before submit the application. Applicants do not need to apply to the partner university until required by SUSTech.
2. Application Documents (PDF version):
(1) Application Form (Please download the “Application form-SUSTech PhD” from http://gs.sustech.edu.cn/zhaoshengQ&A)
(2) Personal Statement, in Chinese or English, which should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal. No fewer than 1500 words.
(3) Degree certificates and academic transcripts, which must be original documents or notarized copies. If applicants are university students, they shall also provide an official pre-graduation certificate/letter showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date. For all documents in languages other than Chinese or English, notarized copies of translations in Chinese or English need to be provided.
(5) Photocopies of language proficiency certificates.
(6) Two letters of recommendation with appropriate contact details, in Chinese or English.
(7) A photocopy of passport.
(8) Other documents that prove academic abilities.
Departments may require hard copies of the above documents. Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the result of application.
Evaluation and Admission
Applications will be considered on the basis of the documents provided by the applicants. An interview and/or additional tests may be needed. Students who pass SUSTech selection will be notified to apply to the partner university around March 10, 2019. The final admission result will be announced by SUSTech or the partner university and offer letters will be issued by partner universities around May 2019.
Miss Bao Zhu,
SUSTech Graduate School
SUSTech website: http://www.sustc.edu.cn
Graduate School website: http://gs.sustech.edu.cn/
Admission to the Collaborative PhD Programs of Southern University of Science and Technology 2020（2nd Batch）
Admission to the Collaborative (Split Site) PhD Programs of Southern University of Science and Technology 2020
Admission to the Collaborative (Split Site) PhD Programs of Southern University of Science and Technology 2019